Soldiers open fire on protesters in Nigeria’s Lagos: Witnesses
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Footage posted on social media shows several hundred people demonstrating, in defiance of a curfew imposed hours earlier by authorities.
Soldiers have opened fire on demonstrators gathered at a protest site in Lagos that has been the epicentre of widespread rallies against police brutality in Nigeria, according to several witnesses.
Amnesty International also said in a statement on Tuesday it had received “credible but disturbing evidence of excessive use of force occasioning deaths of protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos”, adding that it was investigating “the killings”.
Three witnesses told Reuters News Agency that the soldiers fired at the protesters who had gathered in the Lekki district of Nigeria’s largest city in defiance of an indefinite curfew imposed hours earlier by the authorities. Hundreds of people were at the site at the time of the shooting, which witnesses said took place around 7pm (18:00 GMT).
“They started firing ammunition toward the crowd. They were firing into the crowd,” said Alfred Ononugbo, 55, a security officer. “I saw the bullet hit one or two persons,” he said.
Inyene Akpan, 26, a photographer, said more than 20 soldiers arrived at the toll gate in Lekki and opened fire. He said he saw two people being shot. Akinbosola Ogunsanya, a third witness, also told Reuters he saw soldiers remove bodies.
Soldiers open fire on protesters in Nigeria’s Lagos: Witnesses
Footage posted on social media shows several hundred people demonstrating, in defiance of a curfew imposed hours earlier by authorities.
Tens of thousands of people have been taking to the streets every day for nearly two weeks across Nigeria to demand an end to police violence [File: Sunday Alamba/AP Photo]
20 Oct 2020
Soldiers have opened fire on demonstrators gathered at a protest site in Lagos that has been the epicentre of widespread rallies against police brutality in Nigeria, according to several witnesses.
Amnesty International also said in a statement on Tuesday it had received “credible but disturbing evidence of excessive use of force occasioning deaths of protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos”, adding that it was investigating “the killings”.
Three witnesses told Reuters News Agency that the soldiers fired at the protesters who had gathered in the Lekki district of Nigeria’s largest city in defiance of an indefinite curfew imposed hours earlier by the authorities. Hundreds of people were at the site at the time of the shooting, which witnesses said took place around 7pm (18:00 GMT).
“They started firing ammunition toward the crowd. They were firing into the crowd,” said Alfred Ononugbo, 55, a security officer. “I saw the bullet hit one or two persons,” he said.
Inyene Akpan, 26, a photographer, said more than 20 soldiers arrived at the toll gate in Lekki and opened fire. He said he saw two people being shot. Akinbosola Ogunsanya, a third witness, also told Reuters he saw soldiers remove bodies.
Scenes of protesters removing a bullet from someone’s wound and pleading for help were broadcast in a live video on Instagram by DJ Switch, a popular disc jockey. Gunfire and sirens could be heard in videos filmed near the toll gate.
There was no immediate comment from the Nigerian army. Gboyega Akosile, spokesman for the governor of Lagos state, said in a Twitter post that authorities had ordered an investigation.
Earlier on Tuesday, Lagos state Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu alleged that criminals had hijacked the protest movement “to unleash mayhem”, as he announced the curfew.
As the round-the-clock restrictions went into force at 4pm (15:00 GMT), protesters in Lagos sang the national anthem and pledged to remain out on the streets.
“Are you afraid?” a man shouted to the flag-waving crowd from a stage. “We will stay here peacefully,” 32-year-old demonstrator Akin told AFP. “This is our new home.”
Separately on Tuesday, the national police chief ordered the immediate deployment of anti-riot forces nationwide following increased attacks on police facilities, according to a police spokesman.
Tens of thousands of people have been taking to the streets every day for nearly two weeks across Nigeria to demand an end to police violence.
The protests, organised under the #EndSARS hashtag, began with calls to scrap a notorious police unit, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), which has long been accused of extortion, torture and extrajudicial killings.
After days of widespread demonstrations, the authorities announced the dissolution of SARS and later ordered all personnel to report to the police headquarters in Abuja for debriefing and psychological and medical examinations.
Meanwhile, the forming of a new Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team was announced to replace SARS.
However, the announcements did not satisfy protesters, who viewed them as just another renaming exercise and pledged to stay on the streets until promises are delivered and their demands – including the release of those arrested – are met.
On Monday, Amnesty said at least 15 people have been killed since the demonstrations began.
Pablo Escobar , in full Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria , (born December 1, 1949, Rionegro, Colombia—died December 2, 1993, Medellín ), Colombian criminal who, as head of the Medellín cartel, was arguably the world’s most powerful drug trafficker in the 1980s and early ’90s. 384.2K 213 0000214229-wtfvid007-109 Pablo Escobar QUICK FACTS BORN 1949 Envigado , Colombia DIED 1993 (aged 44) Medellín , Colombia Soon after his birth, Escobar’s family moved to Envigado , Colombia , a suburb of Medellín. While still a teenager, he began a life of crime . His early illegal activities included smuggling stereo equipment and stealing tombstones to resell. As the cocaine industry grew in Colombia—thanks in part to its proximity to Peru , Ecuador, and Bolivia , major growers of coca , from which cocaine is derived—Escobar became involved in drug smuggling. In the mid-1970s he helped found the crime ...
WASHINGTON—In this pandemic campaign year, the honking of car horns replaced the cheers of a crowd at candidate Joe Biden’s drive-in rallies. In the early afternoon, that beep-beep-beep became the soundtrack of the cities where he’d just become president-elect. For a Torontonian in Washington, it sounded like someone had just won the World Cup. And it went on for hours. Streets across Washington were filled with cars honking, many of their occupants leaning out of windows and screaming with joy as they passed sidewalks and parks full of people jumping up and down, waving Biden/Harris signs, or homemade variations of their message to Donald Trump: You’re fired. Black Lives Matter Plaza near the White House, closed to traffic as it has been since the spring resurgence of a protest movement that gave it its name, was as full of bodies as a mosh pit in the warm afternoon sun. “Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, heeeeeeeey, goodbye!” the masked crowd sang at one point. Champagne w...
Editor’s note: This is a copy of President-elect Joe Biden’s victory speech, released on the evening of Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020. The speech was delivered in Wilmington, Delaware. My fellow Americans, the people of this nation have spoken. They have delivered us a clear victory. A convincing victory. A victory for “We the People.” We have won with the most votes ever cast for a presidential ticket in the history of this nation — 74 million. I am humbled by the trust and confidence you have placed in me. I pledge to be a President who seeks not to divide, but to unify. Who doesn’t see Red and Blue states, but a United States. And who will work with all my heart to win the confidence of the whole people. For that is what America is about: The people. And that is what our Administration will be about. I sought this office to restore the soul of America. To rebuild the backbone of the nation — the middle class. To make America respected around the world again and to unite u...
Comments